Monday, October 24, 2011

Newcomer

Today at the park an elderly woman with short, white hair dressed in a cute, red plaid button-down (which is really neither here, nor there, but y'all know I like all the details of a story!) walked by with her dog. Something about her reminded me of my grandmother, Mimmy, and her little white dog was very reminiscent of Mimmy's dog, Sally. Anyway, the Bug was very interested in her dog, as he is all dogs, and she noticed and kindly stopped for us to see him. She told me she thought my Bug was "such a sweet little boy" and told us her dog's name was Winston. After a few minutes of small talk, she asked how old the Bug is and I told her (16 months, I know you know that, but again- details). "Oh, he's just a newcomer", she replied. I'd never heard anyone put it that way before, but something about such a kind person in the later chapters of their life saying it so wistfully really stuck with me. It probably also helped that encounters like that with people who so vividly remind me of someone I love make it feel like we're not so far from home.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment